How Much Does Custom Training Cost? It Depends!
July 18, 2017
So, you’ve decided off-the-shelf training no longer meets your company’s needs. Maybe you need to teach your employees about a complex system or product, or maybe you have specific customer service behaviors you need to demonstrate. Or, maybe it’s time for your training to match your company culture. In each of these examples, custom training solutions are definitely the right move. So, how much does custom training cost?
Well, it depends!
Something that’s custom-built for you rarely comes with a standard price tag. It all depends on what you want and need.
It’s a bit like remodeling a kitchen.
Let’s say you want new floors, appliances, cabinets, and countertops. When you ask the contractor for an estimate, two things probably happen next:
- The contractor doesn’t give you an exact figure right away.
- Instead, he or she asks you a few more questions.
While this might slow you down in the short-term, it’s a sign the contractor cares about your vision. After all, there are countless options for customization. Do you want tile floors? Linoleum? Do you need top-of-the-line appliances? What type of wood do you want for the cabinets? Are you interested in granite counter tops?
When you talk with a custom training partner, it’s no different, and if you can bring some key specs to the table, the process doesn’t have to be overwhelming. Use the framework outlined below to break down your vision and get an accurate custom training estimate.
To get a better idea of how much your custom training project may cost, start thinking about the specifics. A custom training partner will ask you questions like this:
- How many topics do you need to cover? Will you focus on just a few topics, or do you need to create an entirely new program?
- Are you teaching knowledge, skills, or behaviors? If you’re teaching knowledge, a self-paced format could be the right approach. If you want learners to build new skills, they need a way to practice and get feedback. If you’re changing behaviors, your strategy will need a leadership component.
- How complex is the subject matter? Some custom training projects require more up-front analysis than others. Do you need a quick, fun hype video to encourage participation, or do you need to train employees on a highly complex product or system?
- What’s the right level of fidelity? Not all videos can be shot on an iPhone or a GoPro. Sometimes you need a full production crew, equipment rentals, and professional actors. Think about the ROI you’re after, and invest your dollars in your most high-impact content. The right training partner can produce a polished, exciting video that has that wow factor.
- How evergreen will the training be? Is this project “one and done,” or will it require ongoing maintenance? And, who do you want to be responsible for the maintenance–your internal training team or your training partner?
- What interactivity will you include? Should your content be highly interactive and immersive–with simulations, games, or even virtual reality? The more interactive the content, the more you’ll want to budget.
Consider Different Modalities
A major driver of cost is the modality–or training format–you’re interested in. In most cases, the subject matter will determine the best modality.
Make sure your training partner has a reputation for making helpful, strategic recommendations about your options. Here are some thought-starters you can use to identify benefits and costs of different modalities:
- What type of seat time do you envision? A few hours? Two days? Three weeks?
- Will the training be facilitated in-person or virtually?
- Will you need any videos to support your facilitated content?
- Do you need any quiz or assessment content to confirm learning?
- Will pre-work and/or refresher training be part of your strategy?
- Are you interested in using any live action video content or animation in your eLearning modules?
- Does your LMS support the type of eLearning experience you want?
- Are you planning any systems training that requires a screencast?
- Do you prefer a simple animation style, or something higher-fidelity like 3D?
Live action video
- Do you have a general sense of the video length you’re interested in?
- Would you rather use professional actors or your own employees?
- Do you need to shoot the video in a specific location?
Custom training is personalized, engaging, and it gets results. In the end, the up-front time you spend to find the right custom training partner and articulate your vision will pay off.
It’s just like any great home improvement project. You have countless options, but the right contractor can turn your dream into a reality–and help you budget along the way.
So, how much does custom training cost? It depends! Use our framework to identify some specifics, then work with your training partner to choose the best modality and put together an estimate.